Thursday 14 October 2010

Beautiful Creatures review


There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that’s what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn’t have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
I am kicking myself that I didn't read this book earlier, like when it was released. And right now I am kicking myself for not pre-ordering Beautiful Darkness. Beautiful Creatures was great book! I seriously don't know why I put off reading this for so long, it was different from all the other paranormal books I've read lately, and I'm so glad I picked it up.

Ethan was so... nice. I don't really know how to put it, but I was glad for it. Because we got to see into his mind it was more like he was a brother than an object of affection, which you just don't see in boys in books these days, I mean please don't get me wrong! I love me a swoon-worthy guy in a book, but its nice to have a change. And Ethan was nice. He wasn't an ass that I just hated one minute but then loved the next. He was sturdy, and even though bad stuff had happened to him, and still was, he didn't become moody and depressed about it and I think that's some of the reason why Lena liked him too. He was like Lena's rock, I guess. Lena was good as well. She was troubled and scared and vulnerable, and it nice to not have to listen lots of mopey monologues that happen so often in YA paranormal books, unless that's just me who gets annoyed by them... I mean its understandable, but jeez, we get it. Your life is in the toilet because the boy you like is a vampire (I'm looking at you, Bella,) or you got in some trouble with some werewolves, fully knowing they could maul your head off, or your best friend is a faery so you get them a box of super expensive iron cutlery for Christmas or whatever... Don't expect me to be sorry for you, it's your own fault. Don't go moping about it to me. Seriously, if some of these guys were my friends I would slap'em round the face and hope to knock some sense into them...

Anyway. The plot of this book kept me gripped. I was genuinely surprised when some of the events happened because when I picked it up, it was not what I was expecting. This book was awesome, and I can definitely see why people are raving about it and its sequel now. I only have to wait until november and then I can finally read Beautiful Darkness.
4.5 stars 
Cicely ;)

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! I agree about Ethan, it was refreshing to not have him be overly alpha male, and Lena was vulnerable without being whiny which I really appreciate. Glad you enjoyed this one, I can't wait to read Beautiful Darkness either!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...