Monday 4 October 2010

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers. 
When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more. 
In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.




When I first got this book, I was apprehensive. This isn't the type of book I would usually read, but I bought it because I'd heard lots of great reviews about it, and I did not regret it at all. I really, really liked this book. I gave it to my friend this morning and she just looked at me with a confused expression. She said to me "Cicely, I don't know if you've noticed this, but this book doesn't have vampires or anything in it." Okay, well she didn't say exactly that, but it was along those lines. And I said "I know, I know, but isn't that just proof of how good it is?" You see, I rarely read a book without anything paranormal in it, and I still stand by that, but after reading this I learnt not to judge a book by its cover or genre. You might be pleasantly surprised.


Brittany and Alex were really great characters. I could easily relate to the way they hide their true selves to fit in with their own crowds, even though I definitely wouldn't be friends with either of them if they were in my school.  Their romance was so real and I'm glad it wasn't like they just met and suddenly fell in love. That they took the time to get to know each other beyond the surface and Brittany was definitely better of with Alex then Colin, who basically just went out with her because she's captain of the pom squad.


Overall this was seriously a great book and one I will definitely read again because of its great main characters, perfect romance and underlying message of not judging a book by its cover, or a person by their social status or perceived personality. I can really relate to that because I know that lots of people don't like other people before they've even had a conversation with said person they don't like. Anyway I give this book 5 stars because its awesome, cute, romantic, has a bit of action, and although the ending was a tad cheesy, it suited the book, and was a good closure on the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...