Monday 15 August 2011

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour review

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
Morgan Matson
May 4th 2010
Simon & Schuster


Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew—just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road—diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards—this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.


Amy & Roger's Epic Detour was an awesome, adorable contemporary novel that I really just adored. Seriously, there were so many things I loved about it, from the characters to the scrapbook pictures and the awesome playlists. There was just so much to like!


I love the whole concept of the book. I've always loved the idea of going in a road trip, going from state to state and seeing everything and all that. And this book gave me all the pros of road tripping without me even having to leave the house! Which is awesome.


Amy and Roger were seriously awesome too though. They were both just so... real. I could completely believe their situation and how they reacted to everything that had happened to them and was happening to them. I just loved them. Being with Amy while she was coping with her fathers death and her guilt about it and her fear of driving was just great and (because I'm kind of a sap...) it did make me cry a little. But not sad crying or anything! It was just really nice.


And Roger. I love him so much! He's just such a nice guy, and so believable! I completely bought his reaction to Hadley and his recent break up, and his amazing taste in music! OMG the music! It is so my kind of thing. Reading this book while listening to the playlists, you just get such a perfect feel for where they are and how they're feeling, you should really try it. That, and the music was awesome. Thank you Roger, for introducing me to The Weepies ;D


I loved the scrapbook feel to it too, the pictures and Amy's bits about the different states made it for me. All the extras gave it character, and I loved Rogers doodles! And the progression of their relationship felt really natural. It's probably one of my favourite contemps at the minute. It was so great! Perfect for anyone who loves a good contemp/ road trip/ nice guy ;)

5 comments:

  1. i agree with everything you said here. it's one of my favourite books of the year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one a while ago, but your review has me wanting to read it again! I felt like the book would have been good without the scrapbook and playlists, but they added a lot to the book, making it great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this too!!! I the scrapbook and the music lists added so much fun to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I shall make sure to listen to the playlists while I read this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome review! I got this one through today and I cant wait to read it!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...