Monday 1 August 2011

The Truth About Celia Frost review

The Truth About Celia Frost
Paula Rawsthorne
August 1st 2011
Usborne

Celia Frost is a freak. At least that's what everyone thinks. Her life is ruled by a rare disorder that means she could bleed to death from the slightest cut, confining her to a gloomy bubble of safety. No friends. No fun. No life. But when a knife attack on Celia has unexpected consequences, her mum reacts strangely. Suddenly they're on the run. Why is her mum so scared? Someone out there knows - and when they find Celia, she's going to wish the truth was a lie - A buried secret; a gripping manhunt; a dangerous deceit: what is the truth about Celia Frost? A page-turning thriller that's impossible to put down.


If I could say only one thing about The Truth About Celia Frost, it would be that I have honestly never read a book like it before. It has a brilliantly unique plot and concept, and I couldn't see half the twists coming. Just the whole idea of the book is so incredibly different and kind of refreshing. The only problem with it, though, is that anything I say might spoil the book. And we wouldn't want that now, would we! 


Celia is a great character. She's spent her whole life thinking she has this terrible blood disorder, she hasn't got any friends, no family apart from her mother. At first, I didn't really like her. I felt sorry for her, but I didn't like her. It was only when they moved and she started to make friends with Sol and break away from her mother, whether for the right reasons or not, that she started to come to life for me. When she began to enjoy teenage rebellion and just did what she wanted regardless of consequences. When her only friend was not her mother, Janice. And while it might have got into a spot of trouble, it was all for the best.


I might be making it out that Janice was the bad guy, when she really wasn't. She did whatever any good mum would do, doing her best to look after her child. And while she did do some things that pissed me off a bit, like guilting her daughter into doing things for her, and being incredibly over protective (which I can't really blame her for), she was nothing in comparison to the real bad guy, who I'm not going to say much about. Apart from the fact that they're crazy., in that sort of What-I'm-Not-Mad-I'm-Helping-The-Planet-I'm-Telling-You-This-Whole-Killing-People-Thing-Is-Just-Research-For-The-Better-Good way. So that was kinda long.. ;) 


Sol was also a great character. He was so cute, and it's obvious he really cares about Celia, but not in that broody way. I so think they got together after the book ;) All of the side characters were wonderful too, and the story was really well thought out and very intricately put together. There were some minor parts that I just couldn't really find believable, but they didn't detract from my enjoyment of it all. And the whole plot is just so original. 


The Truth About Celia Frost is a truly exciting, engaging, fast-paced thriller that will have you hooked from the first page. 4.5 stars :)



3 comments:

  1. I really liked this book too! I agree with what you said about some of it being unbelievable, but I didn't let that distract me from the book too much either :) Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Truth About Celia Frost is next on my stack of books to read. It's interesting that you say you didn't like Celia's character much at the start. I'm intrigued to see if I feel the same – I quite enjoy it when you grow to like a character over the course of a story.

    I did an interview with the author, Paula Rawsthorne recently where she talks about the process of writing Celia Frost and also gives a sneak preview of her next book – if you're interested you can read it at: http://davecousins.blogspot.com/2011/07/truth-about-paula-rawsthorne.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww I really wanna read this book! I must get it soon! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...