Friday 5 August 2011

My Soul to Take review

My Soul to Take
Rachel Vincent
January 1st 2011 (UK)
Mira Books/HarlequinTeen


She doesn't see dead people, but…

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…



I really liked this book! This is another one of those series that I'm generally kind of meh about (especially because of the Twilight fans will love it thing, but I've leaned not to believe those anymore) but it was really, really good! And different too. I love reading about different paranormal creatures and all their 'rules' and their world, so it was really great getting to learn about the Bean Sidhes, reapers and the Netherworld.


I thought Kaylee was cool. I know I'm always backing the bad ass characters and stuff, but it's nice to see just normal people, partially because they're more relatable, and partially because it makes their bad ass moment even more epic. Like, Kaylee is fierce with an iron skillet. But I liked seeing her struggle to grasp her powers, and her trying to understand them. I don't read a lot of books where the MC is the paranormal thing, and I thought it was great how Rachel described the panic that came with every scream. I mean, if that's what it takes to a bean sidhe, I'd rather be human...


The only person I really just didn't like in the book was Nash. For me, there was just something off about him. I'm sure he's a lovely person and whatever, but I just didn't get why Kaylee liked him. For me, their relationship is just another load of teenagers who think they're in love when they spend the whole time kissing. Plus, Nash was just too intense for me, and that whole Influence thing he has going on? I don't think he only uses to calm Kaylee down... That whole bedroom scene? Yeah. I don't think they're good together. 


Tod, on the other hand... I love Tod! He's so cute and blond and a good guy and he know how to joke around, and he loves Nash and doesn't want him to get hurt, and I think he likes Kaylee (though for some reason, Kaylee thinks TOD is the creepy one...) And it got me annoyed when everyone was being mean to him just because he's a reaper... So yeah, I'm backing Tod in this whole Soul Screamers thing.


The plot was really good, and I didn't see the ending coming. When I found out who had really been causing the girls to die, I was genuinely shocked, and I loved the honesty about it. Plus, even though it was the first book in a series, it didn't feel like one. It was fat paced and didn't get bogged down by all the details about bean sidhes and explanations that had to be in there.


My Soul to Take is an excellent start to a series I can't wait to continue :D





3 comments:

  1. I've had this book on my shelf for nealry 8 months. I think I will move it near the top of my TBR pile. Great review!

    Now following :)

    -Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover of this book. On my to-read pile - it sounds really interesting, although frankly I'm quite glad i'm not Kaylee, I'm not sure I could cope!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome review! I had been putting this one off cos of the twilight thing too and now I cant wait to read the second either! justneed to actually get round to it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...