Thursday 4 August 2011

Forgive my Fins review

Forgive my Fins
Tera Lynn Childs
May 19th 2010
Katherine Tegan Books

Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush. 

Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life. 

When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.



This book reaches new levels of cute. I'm not even kidding, it's adorable. If you're thinking it's just going to be a paranormal (though you shouldn't because of the prettyful cover) then you're so wrong. It's just about a normal girl in a normal high school except she's a mermaid... And that if she kisses a boy she'll get a special mermaid bond with them and they'll be mermates, like, forever... Yeah.


Lily was so cute! She was really sweet, and kind of naive. I mean, she could be a bit annoying when she was being mean to Quince even after she, well, knew, but  I guess it's ok because she didn't really know what to do with her feelings. And it made me really sad for hew when it turned out Brody wasn't the amazing guy she'd built him up to be, but it ultimately led up to her being with the right guy so it's all good. And I'm glad, really, that it wasn't a love triangle, and that Brody was an arse, and that when Lily realised this she stopped swooning for him.


Quince was awesome. So, so awesome. I loved him. He's a biker and he has awesome blond hair and he's a nice guy (though he can be a bit annoying... But still! ) And he really really loves Lily, whether or not she knows it. But he shouldn't have just covered it up the whole time by being mean! Though it was that affectionate kind of mean.. And that scene in the toilet cubicle? SO CUTE. 


The only thing that might have annoyed me a little bit was that it was just a bit.. Disney. I mean, I loved that about it too, but I did cringe a little. But maybe I'm just really easy to make cringe.. I don't know. I also though the sea terminology would annoy me more than it did. At the start it was a little grating, but I just got used to it and it was a nice little quirk by the end. 


Forgive my Fins is an adorable mermaid book that will have you itching to go to Thalasinnia (which, by the way, I loved. It was really well described and so well set I felt like I could've been there. And I don't even like the sea, so there ;p) But it's such an easy book to love, especially if your a bit of a Disney fan like me ;)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Even if it is a little cringey in places, it's still adorable! :) So glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this book too though I do agree on the disney part! I LOVED Quince... I can't wait to read the next book! Great review (:

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...