Friday 29 April 2011

The DUFF review



The Duff
Kody Keplinger
September 7th 2010
Little Brown
(I got this as a RAK from Ivy Reads, so thank you very much!)

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.


But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

I've been wanting to read The Duff ever since I heard about it. It sounds right up my street, and I really enjoyed it! I can really see why it might not be everyone's cup of tea though. If you don't like strong language or sex in books (there is no actual sex described in the book, though, only lead-up to sex and after-sex, just thought I'd point that out. Sex *immature giggle* ;P) But I did really like it, despite all that.

Bianca is the sort of person I would get along with. I do like a bit of cynicism every now and again, plus I love it when main characters have character, you know? Because usually I like the side characters a lot more than the main characters, but in this case, I really liked Bianca. Even though I do kind of want to slap her. She could've, like, read a lot or something to distract her instead of all the sexytimes. But whatever...

I loved Wesley too! I mean, he was kind of an arrogant ass at first, but he's actually a pretty cool guy. Not to mention a lot of his and Bianca's conversations made me laugh. They just had good chemistry, y'know. They had a lot of good banter, plus Wesley was a good guy at the end of it.  And he did end his man whorish ways! ;D

I also really enjoyed the more serious aspect of the book, what with all of the parent problems, and the characters reactions to them, and that it showed a whole different side of the characters. I felt so bad for Bianca's dad,  but he was also kind of an douche... But I get why, I mean, just having gone through a surprise divorce and all. but he should've thought about his daughter a little bit!

The Duff was a great YA book that might put some people off, but whatever. Not every book can be everyone's cup of tea, so if you like fairly edgy YA that you'll also get a good laugh from, this is the book for you :) 4 stars

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post and I think I'd really like the book! Thanks for a great review. And I really need to check out Figment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to read this one, I love characters with a good chemistry!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...