Monday 25 April 2011

Divergent review

Divergent
Veronica Roth
April 28th (UK)/May 3rd (US)
HarperCollins/HarperTeen

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.



Divergent has sufficiently BLOWN MY MIND. I could tell from page one that it was going to be amazing, and what with all the hype, but it was EVEN BETTER THAN THAT. I wanted to give HarperCollins a big sloppy kiss on the face when it fell through the door. But I didn't. Because that would be weird. And slightly awkward. So we shall refrain form big sloppy kisses for the time being.


And let me tell you who DIDN'T give big sloppy kisses in Divergent! (Yeah, I just KNOW you guys are jealous of my segue skills.) FOUR. That's who doesn't. (At this point, you may be wondering 'Four? Who the heck is Four?' Well, let me explain. Four is the amazingly amazing male lead of the book, who you will undoubtedly fall in love with. That's who Four is. And he is good enough reason ALONE to want this book. Not to mention the absolute awesome that is Tris. And the plot. And the world. But we'll get to that.)


So, as I said before. Tris. Tris is probably one of the best main characters. EVER. I loved her. She was strong, but not in a over powering way, and it was great to see her learn about her world, and the darker side of it. As she begins to feel like she belongs in a world, how she makes friends, a boyfriend, even. How she started having FUN. And how it nearly all got taken away from her.


Divergent was incredibly fast paced, yet so damn good I had to try and pace myself, to try and savour it, I wanted it to last, yet it just kept drawing me back in. It has been 2 days since I finished it, and I already want to read it again. I stare longingly at it on my shelf wondering 'why can't all books be THIS good?!' But I know the answer to that. Because if they were all that good, we, as human beings, would not be able to think properly for the amazing that we read all the time. You probably think I'm exaggerating, and I probably am, but I sure as hell LOVE THIS BOOK SOMETHING FIERCE. And I hope you do to.


Divergent is one of the best dystopians I've read (even though I sure as hell am not a dystopian expert) and completely lives up to the hype. If not more so. I think you should read it. If not just because we can squee about it afterwards. Then again, sometimes I just get immensely enthusiastic about books. But still. Read it. You know you want to... 5 stars! :D:D  



7 comments:

  1. Finally get to read your review! I totally agree with everything you said ...I LOVE Four <3 and Tris is awesome ...I loved this book! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!! Divergent is the best book I've read so far in 2011, loved loved loved it + FOUR:):D Great review! I'll share the Divergent love next week when I post my review:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo many good reviews of this! I'm really gonna have to get this now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'M SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS!! I preordered it ageees ago and it's coming soon now (but not soon enough :L)! :) I can't wait, your review just makes me want to read it more! :L

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your enthusiasm for Divergent and completely share it! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I adored this book too! So amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your enthusiasm for this book! I can't wait to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...