Thursday 21 April 2011

Rockoholic review

Rockoholic
C J Skuse
March 7th
Chicken House

Jody loves Jackson Gatlin. At his only UK rock concert, she’s right at the front. But when she's caught in the crush and carried back stage she has more than concussion to contend with. Throw in a menacing manager, a super-wired super-star, and a curly-wurly, and she finds herself taking home more than just a poster. It’s the accidental kidnapping of the decade. But what happens if you’ve a rock-god in your garage who doesn’t want to leave? Jody’s stuck between a rock-idol and a hard place! 

From the pen of C.J. Skuse, author of last year’s super cool debut Pretty Bad Things, comes a tale of rock star obsession gone nuts. Hilariously and sharply explores the fantasy and reality of celebrity obsession through a teenager’s eyes. C. J. Skuse has been billed as the new Nick Hornby for teens.



Rockoholic was pretty darned awesome. It was funny, sweet and full of the west-country ;) Who wouldn't want to read a book about a teen who accidentally kidnaps her favourite rockstar?! It's such a great premise, and it really lived up to my expectations.


I really love funny books, probably because I don't read a lot of them. They just really cheer me up. I love it when books don't take themselves too seriously sometimes. And just from the blurb, you can tell that it's going to be a bit of a laugh. And it was. But that wasn't all it was. There was a lot of stuff going on with it too, like drugs and fame and grief. But it was still pretty darn hilarious. The whole time of the kidnapping I was just sitting there with a hand over my face, cringing, like I do when I watch The Inbetweeners, or Extras (awesome British comedy shows, if you don't know them, check them out!) just anticipating the bad situation they've undoubtedly got themselves into...


I really liked Jody, even though she was a wee bit messed up, but I really enjoyed her development, and her discovering that obsession and infatuation isn't the same as love, and that celebrities are not all that they seem. And I want my own Mac. I don't want him to be fictional! He's just so great! I want a boyfriend who played Frank-N-Furter in te Rocky Horror Show! ;) Plus he has a blue streak! I love blue hair!


But my favourite character was Cree. She was absolutely adorable. And this is coming from someone who hates kids, y'know. I just want her! She's too cute :3 And Grandad, or what we got to know of him, seemed pretty darn cool. I wish my Grandad had been like that... And although Jackson was a bit of an asshat at first I really warmed up to him. I didn't want him to go in the end... But that's what he wanted, so I guess it's okay... *sniffles* ;)


Rockoholic was a funny, different book to what I usually read, and I'll be sure to pick up C J's other books! :D 4 stars :)

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book too. I couldnt put it down, so funny and so real! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you really enjoyed this. I have to read it. It sounds so funny.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...