Thursday 14 April 2011

Demonglass review

Demonglass/Raising Demons (UK)
Rachel Hawkins
March 1st 2011
Disney Hyperion/Simon & Schuster (UK)




(If you have NOT read Hex Hall, then I greatly suggest you avoid this review, because even the synopsis has spoilers. :D)
(And if you haven't read Hex Hall, why the hell not! It's awesome.)


Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?



So, um... Woah. Demonglass was one helluva good book. I don't think I even had time to catch my breath. It was THAT awesome. Yeah. And OMG that cliffhanger. All I have to say is WHY?! It is pure evil. I need book three NOW, but it doesn't even have a title yet... 


Demonglass starts a while after the shocking ending of Hex Hall, what with Sophie actually being a demon and what not, and so she goes off to England (yeah! ;P) with her dad, Jenna and Cal (who I embarrassingly forgot existed... Sorry Cal...) to go and start to grow into her demonness. But of course, nothing goes down easy in the world of Sophie Mercer. Her crush, Archer (who turned out to be crazy demon hunter boy) has been spotted in England several times, and Sophie isn't exactly jumping at the chance to see him again. Sort of. (What, his being a L'Oochio di Dio didn't make him any less hot... ;P) So that's sort of the beginning of the twisty-turny, wicked plot of Demonglass... Sorry if I just spoiled half the book for ya...


I realised, within the first page of Demonglass, just how much I missed Sophie. Seriously, her snarkiness is brilliant, and I really like her as a character. A lot of MCs don't really have much of a personality, but Sophie does. I feel like I know her, like we would be awesome friends, and I think she's awesome. And Jenna, I love Jenna so much! She's such a cute vampire... And Cal really grew on me in this book! I (probably) won't forget him by the time the next one comes out! ;) But he's really so nice, and stable and sweet. But, of course, he can't compare to Archer. Archer is probably one of the best YA boys... I just hope he isn't lying about everything, because that would break my heart as much as it would break Sophie's. And her dad was brilliant too. Anyone who can put the word ensorcelled into a sentence, particularly at a stressful time, gets point with me. 


Demonglass is a brilliant sequel to Hex Hall, and it definitely didn't suffer from second-book-syndrome.  It was a fast-paced, funny, roller-coaster ride of magic, the English countryside, cliffhangers, and general awesomeness. Also  I think that's the most amount of commas I've ever used in a sentence... Anyway, you should really read Hex Hall and Demonglass. They're brilliant. 5 stars :D

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I didn't think that much of Hex Hall, but from what I've seen this one sounds better so maybe I'll give it a go. One thing I will say about it; like you I love Sophia's snarky nature! It's so fun and entertaining

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanna read this book, I cant wait to get my hands on it (but unfortunately I think I'll have to as the library doesnt have it in yet! :(

    I kinda forgot who Cal was too... Oooppsssy! lol
    thanks for a great review x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book too! I think it's one of my top paranormal series. I also love that Sophie has personality and wit... so unlike many other shallow, forgettable main characters in paranormal lit! Great review! :)
    - Alyssa of Redhead Heroines
    Book Review of "Demonglass" by Rachel Hawkins

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...