Friday 31 December 2010

Nevermore review

Nevermore
Kelly Creagh
August 31st 2010
Athenum
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.


Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it. (goodreads)

I put off reading Nevermore for ages, purely for the fact that it was over 500 pages long, and I'm generally intimidated by long books. Seriously, they scare me. But Nevermore was amazing! I was literally blown away at how good it was.

Nevermore breathed new life into Poe's stories and I think it will do well to get other people who had little knowledge of who he was into Poe, and it certainly gave me information about his personal life, which I knew nothing about. Another thing I loved about this book was the writing. I'm not usually a fan of third person. I like to get really into the main characters head, but Kelly's slightly quirky writing style really got me into the story.

Isobel is the type of character who I wouldn't usually like, but she developed so well that I couldn't help but like her by the end, or at least feel a bit sorry for her. And Varen was not your typical YA love interest, being that he generally despised Isobel until their English project. Well, neither of them liked each other, which is another I love Nevermore for. It was so great to watch their love for each other develop like it would in real life, and that in their developing love, they changed as characters too.

I felt really bad for Varen. I wanted to give him a hug for the majority of the book. And then punch his dad. I could've punched a few characters in this book, really, but only the ones that were meant to be disliked. I loved Gwen! She would definitely be my friend. I loved her quirkiness, and that she never got embarrassed at anything. Gwen rocked. :) 


The plot was so interesting, and the Dreamworld created in the book was so imaginative, I loved it. I would never want to actually go to the Dreamworld, mind. It sounds pretty damn terrifying, but it made a good setting for a story. And I was glad that the only Poe stories that were heavily involved with the plot were the ones that I'd read.


Nevermore is a book really worth picking up, it was fab! A great read, especially if your interested in Poe, or want to be. One of my favourite reads of the year, and I'm glad it was the last book I read in 2010. I think I might die not knowing what happens next though! (hurry up 2012!)  5 stars :D

2 comments:

  1. Great Review! I'm going to go see if my library has this book, I really want to read it now! Long Books are intimadating, they scare me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the awesome review! This has been on my TBR list for a while, so I can see I may have to bring it up to the top of the pile... :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...