Thursday 10 November 2011

Dark Inside review

Dark Inside
Jeyn Roberts
September 2nd 2011
Macmillan Children's Books


Four teenagers on the same road in a world gone mad. Struggling to survive, clinging on to love and meaning wherever it can be found. THE DARK INSIDE is a stunning, cinematic thriller: 28 DAYS LATER meets THE ROAD. 
Since mankind began, civilizations have always fallen: the Romans, the Greeks, the Aztecs…. Now it’s our turn. 
Huge earthquakes rock the world. Cities are destroyed. But something even worse is happening. An ancient evil has been unleashed, hooking on to weakness, turning the unwary into hunters, killers, crazies. 
Mason: His mother is dying after a terrible car accident. As he endures a last vigil at her hospital bed, his school is bombed and razed to the ground. Everyone he knows is killed. 
Aries: A school bus, an aftershock and a crash. Pulled out of the wreckage by a mysterious stranger, she’s about to discover a world changed forever. 
Clementine: An emergency meeting at the town hall that descends into murderous chaos. Outside the rest of their community encircle with weapons. How can those you trust turn into savage strangers? 
Michael: A brutal road rage incident. When the police arrive on the scene they gun down the guilty and turn on the by-standing crowd. Where do you go for justice when even the lawmakers have turned bad?


Dark Inside was amazing. Seriously, I genuinely didn't think I would like this book when I got it in the post in the summer. I was a fool! It was so good! So intense, and creepy, with small moments of humour, but that lingering anticipation that something bad was going to happen was always there.

I think it's pretty safe to say that this book freaked me out. It may just be my inexperience with scary books and stuff, but I've read other people's reviews and it freaked them out too. This book  is SCARY. The crazies/Baggers were, like, just so freaky. This books was a little like a zombie novel, in all of its apopcalypsiness, and the baggers were a little like zombies, only way, WAY worse. Some of them were just mindless killers, but some of them, they were clever. They were pretty much just psychopaths, calculating and evil and the last thing you'd want hanging around in an apocalypse. The worst part was, you never knew who it would be. Trust no one.

At first, I didn't quite get why all of the different POVs were there, and it was a tiny but confusing, but after the first few chapters I got used to it and I grew to like all of the characters. All of them except for one. There were these chapters written from the POV of Nothing, and they were the worse. They were so creepy! And guys, the last chapter. SO. Creepy. And it was even worse because they were the only chapters told from first person! Getting right into the mind of a crazy/bagger/whatever the hell he/she is... *Shudders*

There were small hints at romance, and times when the bad stuff wasn't as prominent, but mostly this book was about survival. It was about getting from A to B without getting torn apart, about not getting dragged out of your house and killed on the streets, about not dying from starvation because it's late Autumn and you can only eat canned goods but you can't get any as all the shops have already been looted. And it's so tense and scary, honestly, I couldn't relax reading it until I finished. I was getting paranoid about crazies waiting for me in back alleys, strolling around the streets. I swear I though some huge ass earthquake was gonna happen and that the apocalypse was gonna begin. That's how caught up in this book I got.

My only concern is for the next book (because there HAS to be a next book!) I really, really, want the danger to still be there. I'm worried that she's going to take the easy way out with no major MAJOR deaths happening, that it will all blow over and all four of them will be fine, because if that happens, I will be PISSED. I hope we don't find out who nothing is, and that it remains a secret, and I hope lots of dramatic and terrible things happen, because if they don't, I will be greatly disappointed...

Dark Inside is a great, scary book that drags you so much into it's world that you'll be checking out your windows for crazies and sleeping with the lights on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...