Thursday 6 October 2011

Vampire Academy Graphic Novel review

Vampire Academy: A Graphic Novel
Richelle Mead/Leigh Dragoon/Emma Vieceli
August 23rd 2011
Razorbill


After two years on the run, best friends Rose and Lissa are caught and returned to St. Vladimir's Academy, a private high school for vampires and half-bloods. It's filled with intrigue, danger - and even romance. Enter their dark, fascinating world through a new series of 144-page full-color graphic novels. The entire first Vampire Academy novel has been adapted for book one by Leigh Dragoon and overseen by Richelle Mead, while the beautiful art of acclaimed British illustrator Emma Vieceli brings the story to life.


I got sent this book for review, like, just a few weeks after I'd finished the first VA book, so I was pretty much dying at the chance to get to read the graphic novel, and I was not left disappointed! I haven't really read a lot of graphic novels (well, I do read quite a bit of manga) so it was a nice treat to get to read something slightly different!


I really, really loved the illustration, and I thought all of the characters looked absolutely perfect. It was awesome to get to see Rose and Dimitri and Lissa all (sort of) real, or, well, at least drawn ;p Dimitri's hair was PERFECT. Seriously. (Ya'll must know about me and hair by now... ;p) and I thought Rose and Lissa looked great. The Strigoi looked great too, and Christian.. OMG I really, really love Christian. He's so cute :3


I felt like quite a lot of the book got left out, like, not plot points or anything, but it all felt a bit rushed. I felt like a lot of the emotions were left out, and like there wasn't that much of a connection with the reader, and it felt a bit choppy. It was good adaptation, but if I hadn't read the book beforehand, I might have been a little bit confused, and it felt like there was something missing, if that makes sense. But that being said, it did stick really close to the story, and, to my fairly inexperienced eye, it was a pretty great graphic novel! That's just me being pinnickety about adaptations of books I love ;) 


The VA graphic novel is a great companion to an awesome series (which I seriously need to carry on with! *moves Frostbite WAY up the TBR*) that fans and people new to the series (like myself) will enjoy :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...