Sunday 7 November 2010

Raised By Wolves review

Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1)
Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it. That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two. 

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs. 

But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?(Goodreads)

Raised By Wolves is an interesting book written from the point of view of fifteen year old Bryn, who was literally raised by wolves. The premise intrigued me. I've always liked things like The Jungle Book and such, I like seeing how being raised by a different species (werewolves in this case) would affect the behaviour and attitude of a human. All of the pack detail in this book have been studied carefully, and you can tell  Jennifer Lynn Barnes has done her research. I've always been intrigued by pack behaviour (Wolves are one of my favourite animals. That's why I like werewolves a lot :D) and that is this something this book definitely goes into depth on. One thing I wasn't particularly fond about in the whole pack mentality was their bonds with each other. How the wolves claimed a person, how one person was someone else's. Extreme possessiveness is not something I'm particularly fond of , I'm afraid. And I don't really thing Chase and Bryn's relationship was romantic in any way, because it was based on a need, and they didn't exactly fall in love or anything. They needed each other because they could relate to each other through their experience with the Rabid.

While I liked Bryn and Chase as characters, I would much prefer to get to know Lake and Devon a bit better in the next book, and all of the Rabid's victims too. I also didn't connect with Chase at all. I didn't really get him, it felt like he started to have a personality, and then it just stopped. He became just the wolf, and most of the time the only word I ever heard him say was mine. And I know this was intentional, it's just I wasn't that into it. There was no connection with him at all, even though him and Bryn were so in tune with each other.

The plot flowed well and the writing was good, although nothing really took me by surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed this book (trust me, I did! If the review sounds a bit negative, that's only because I'm trying to be a bit less short and gushy and a bit more in depth, y'know...) and recommend you read it if you like werewolves (like me!) or just feel like you want to read a good book. 4 stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...