Thursday 25 November 2010

The Body Finder review


Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.
Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.
Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself. (Goodreads)

The Body Finder was a great book! I'd been hearing a lot of good things about it, which was why I was eagerly anticipating the UK release so that I could see if it lived up to my expectations, and it most certainly did.

While there were many things that I enjoyed about this book, I have to say one of my favourite aspects of it was the romance. I have read so many books where the girls falls in love with a dashing stranger, not knowing anything about him apart from the fact that he's handsome, mysterious, and a bit mean (though it's always for the heroines good...) and I was incredibly thankful to read a book with a romance that I could believe. Violet and Jay had chemistry, and not just because Jay suddenly became good looking, but because they had know each other since they were like five. And also I love reading books where the girl is the one with the power. That's one of the reason why I love Beautiful Creatures so much.

Violet's power was creepy, and I know that if I was her, I would probably hate it. Who wants to just find random bodies of people and animals who have been murdered. Which leads me to another thing I liked about this book. That even though it is paranormal, it isn't. Violet's power is key to the plot, but there isn't any evil vampires or whatever who want to kill her. I really love books where the enemy is a human, especially in books that are paranormal and such, because I find that a murderous human on a killing spree is far more scary than a vampire, because it's something that could actually happen, that does actually happen.

The short chapters told from the killers point of view were chilling, which was why I appreciated it being told in the third person. But it made the story that much better than if it had been told all from Violet's point of view. It added another dimension to the story, and it made me like it that much more.

Overall, The Body Finder is a fantastic read, and I can understand why people enjoyed it a lot. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars is because I know that the sequel Desires Of The Dead is going to be even better than The Body Finder. =)


And Happy Thanksgiving to all of my US followers! I hope you have a great day, and thank you so much for following me! I love you guys :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...