Monday 28 March 2011

The Truth About Forever review

The Truth About Forever
Sarah Dessen
May 1st 2008 (UK)
Puffin Books (UK)

Sixteen-year-old Macy Queen is looking forward to a long, boring summer. Her boyfriend is going away. She's stuck with a dull-as-dishwater job at the library. And she'll spend all of her free time studying for the SATs or grieving silently with her mother over her father's recent unexpected death. But everything changes when Macy is corralled into helping out at one of her mother's open house events, and she meets the chaotic Wish Catering crew. Before long, Macy joins the Wish team. She loves everything about, the work and the people. But the best thing about Wish is Wes—artistic, insightful, and understanding Wes—who gets Macy to look at life in a whole new way, and really start living it.


The Truth About Forever is the best Sarah Dessen book out of the four I've read. In my opinion, of course. Seriously, everything about it was so good! While the plot went in a similar fashion to her other books, this is definitely the one I was most emotionally connected too. I really cared about the characters, as I guess I always do with Sarah Dessen books, and I think that Macy was the most relatable, plus I loved ALL of the characters. I think Monica was my favourite character though, either her or Bert. He just had his way with all of those apocalypse theories... ;)


Macy had just lost her father, and her whole family has been pretty messed up by it. She's been feeling pretty crappy since the death, and the fact that she has to spent her whole summer away from her boyfriend, taking his job at the library reception desk with two girls who hate her isn't exactly cheering her up. It's only when she starts to help out at Wish catering that she starts to feel truly happy again, and  who wouldn't with a lovely, handsome fella like Wes hanging around?


Macy was so lovely, and she was really struggling with the loss of her father, but still kept her walls up and didn't let on to how much it hurt her in front of her mother, who was a bit mean, but for good reason. And she was nice at the end. Wes was just... Definitely my favourite out of the Sarah Dessen boys, and even though he'd gone through a bit of a bad boy streak, he was so sweet and kind and lovely and I would definitely be sa-wooning over him. The whole crew at Wish were just adorable, Kristy, Delia, Monica, Bert. I just wanted to work there so bad, except I'd be pretty terrible at it.


Sarah Dessen has once again written a book that just makes me smile when I think about it, with a cast of characters I adore, and a book that, while it deals with grief, is sweet and funny and just rather brilliant. 5 stars :D

5 comments:

  1. Love this book, great review! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see your enjoying Sarah Dessen's books :) This ones one of my favourites too, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Sigh* I love Sarah Dessen. And her boy characters. And her stories in general. Loved this one. Especially the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! Thanks for the review! I need to start reading her books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book was wonderful. i recently have had trouble with the passing of a loved one and this book truly put things in perspective for me. i would definitely suggest this book to all ages but mostly teens. this book has led me to read more of Sarah Dessen's books.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...