Thursday 3 March 2011

As You Wish review

As You Wish
Jackson Pearce
September 1st 2009
HarperTeen

Ever since Viola's boyfriend broke up with her, she has spent her days silently wishing—to have someone love her again and, more importantly, to belong again—until one day she inadvertently summons a young genie out of his world and into her own. He will remain until she makes three wishes.
Jinn is anxious to return home, but Viola is terrified of wishing, afraid she will not wish for the right thing, the thing that will make her truly happy. As the two spend time together, the lines between master and servant begin to blur, and soon Jinn can't deny that he's falling for Viola. But it's only after Viola makes her first wish that she realizes she's in love with Jinn as well . . . and that if she wishes twice more, he will disappear from her life—and her world—forever.
Jackson Pearce spins a magical tale about star-crossed lovers, what it means to belong . . . and how important it is to be careful what you wish for.

I love Jackson Pearce. Even though I thought she was a man for ages, until I actually read Sisters Red and I was like 'huh?! This books was SO NOT written by a man' and then I googled her and I was like 'Ohhh', but that google search brought me to her videos, and they are darned hilarious! And after I read and enjoyed SR and saw her videos, I knew I had to get her other book. And while I didn't like it as much as SR (only a little tiny bit. Because Rosie and Scarlett were KICK BUTT. Dudes, they had HATCHETS. WIN.) I really enjoyed this cute, funny, romantic book.

One thing I really loved was the Jinn/genies (well, Jinn the Jinn in particular ;P) It's not a thing written about a lot in YA, and I thought that it was just going to be like every other YA paranormal I read, but it really wasn't. It wasn't heavy and trying to be serious all the time. It was sweet and funny. It was like a teen rom-com only it happened to have genies in it. And also I love genies. Getting to have three wishes?! That's awesome!

And the characters were fabulous too. I liked how Viola and Lawrence were still friends after they broke up (because he was gay) and that Jinn was just swoony. I could relate to Viola, and I liked how she was scared of Jinn. I would be! If some random dude was just staring at me and kept on disappearing and NO ONE ELSE could see him, I would be a wee bit freaked out. But Jinn turned out to be lovely, if not a little frightening at first.

I got really swept away in the story too, I read the book in one sitting. Something about Jackson's writing keeps me wanting more. I loved seeing Viola getting into a load of bad situations because of her uncareful wishes, and how she got back out of them at the end. And really, even though I knew it had to have a happy ending, I did kind of think for a short while that it wasn't going to happen...

But it did! And while the ending was ever so slightly cheesy, it made me smile, and it made me happy. It made me sigh (in a good way :D) and it was so cute! As You Wish is  perfect if you're looking for a quick, sweet, genuinely quite lovely book. 4 stars :)


(P.S HAPPY WORLD BOOK DAY! :D:D)


5 comments:

  1. Awesome review :) i haven't heard much about this book, but your review makes me want to go read it now! I love me some magic, mystery and romance... thanks so much for sharing your thoughts :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this post! i think jackson is so funny!! her videos crack me up. I'm a new GFC follower!! Love the blog and I'm excited to read more!

    Follow me?!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great review! I have to admit, I thought Jackson Pearce was a guy at first until, I really checked out her books! LOL! I've wanted to read this book for a long time, maybe I'll pick it up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ive wanted to read this book for such a long time, and sisters red too! cant wait to do so soon. your review is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...