Thursday 26 December 2013

My Favourite Other Stuff of 2013

So, I've already done a top ten list for my favourite books of 2013, but I've liked a lot of stuff this year and I want to share the love for all the films, tv shows, games etc that I've really enjoyed and haven't spoken about as much on the blog. So, here we go!


Movies
I have two favourite films from this year: Catching Fire, which I blogged about and absolutely loved, and The Way Way Back, which I did not blog about, but also absolutely loved. Catching Fire was everything I wanted it to be, and it exceeded my expectations. It was pretty much incredible and I have yet to see a fan of the books who didn't like it. The Way Way Back, while not being based on a book or anything, felt like a YA novel. It's a coming of age story about an awkward teenager and it's probably the funniest film I've seen this year, and one of the nicest, and I just really loved it. It's made by the same people that did Little Miss Sunshine (I think?), which is one of my favourite ever films, so if you liked that and never went to see The Way Way Back, or if you like contemp YA and haven't seen it yet, then I completely think that you should. Seriously, it's so great.
There seemed to have been a lot of less successful YA adaptations that came out this year, too, and of those I saw Warm Bodies, Beautiful Creatures, How I Live Now, The Mortal Instruments, Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters and The Host. Most of the were just sort of okay, and none of them really stood out as amazing, but How I Live Now and Warm Bodies were both really good. I think the fact that I hadn't read the books when I went to see those two meant that I could enjoy them more without getting hung up on details that were missed out. I actually enjoyed most of the films I saw this year. The only one that I really didn't like was Oz: The Great and Powerful. God, that film was just bad. Oh, and before I forget, Frozen! I only just saw it on Christmas Eve, but I don't think I've ever felt that happy upon leaving a film. Honestly, it is so good. It was everything I wanted it to be. I'm going to try and see it again before it stops showing because I don't know how I'm supposed to wait for it to be out on DVD.

TV Shows
Look at these cuties man I love 'em
Now, if you guys follow me on the internet at all, you can probably already tell which TV show I'm going to talk about here. Yeah, you guessed it, Sleepy Hollow. I don't really know what to say about it apart from that personally, I adore it. It's like if you combine Elementary and Supernatural and add in a load of other awesome stuff, and then you sort of get close to how great I think Sleepy Hollow is. Abbie and Ichabod are basically my favourite people ever and I love their relationship and I love almost everything about this show. The first season has really warmed up now, and I don't want to speak too soon, but I really hope that it goes on for a long time. It has already been renewed for a second season, so there is hope! As far as other new shows this year, Almost Human has also started out strongly. It's a procedural cop show, set in the future, with Karl Urban and androids. Yeah, it's pretty great. Also, Hannibal, which is incredible and terrifying and season two is going to be so twisted I cannot wait. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D has also gone from being meh to being almost kinda good. Plus, pretty much all the tv shows that I watch these days are my favourites, otherwise I wouldn't still be watching them... So Game of Thrones, Elementary, Parks & Rec, Community, Teen Wolf, Supernatural (though I have yet to watch any of season 9). They're all awesome, and you should watch them so that we can talk about them please.

Games

I don't really play as many games as I used to, and I've only actually been playing two games this year, but I love them. Animal Crossing: New Leaf is pretty much the most adorable thing that has ever happened. I named my town Westeros, and as you can imagine, it's pretty much about as far from Westeros as you could actually get. It's just so nice and it makes me so happy and I want to live in my Animal Crossing town because I'm pretty sure that it is literally the nicest place ever. Nothing bad ever happens. It's amazing. Plus it's winter at the minute and because the seasons change with the seasons in real life (which isn't new to this particular Animal Crossing, but is still adorable) it's snowy and Christmassy everywhere like in the picture. If I ever feel bummed out then I just go on Animal Crossing and walk around and I'm happy again. And Pokemon X is also really good. I haven't played that much yet, but from what I've played, it's already much better than Diamond/Pearl (which were the most recent Pokemon games I played. I never got around to Black/White). You get to play with your Pokemon! Like they're real pets or something! It's so cute. I think I'm getting too emotionally attached to my Pokemon... 

Comics
Before this year, I didn't really read a lot of comics and graphic novels, and I still don't read loads but I have a few that I started and really like. There are a few that I want to talk about on here. Hawkeye is awesome. Even to my novice understanding of comics and the like, I can tell you that Matt Fraction's Hawkeye is just really good. David Aja's artwork is simple and I love it, and the colouring is sort of minimalistic and it works really well. There isn't really a main storyline yet, but it's starting to come out, though I like the standalone nature of a lot of the stories. And I really like Clint. In this, he's not some superhero, he's just en everyman who happens to be good with a bow. Also, Kate Bishop, who is also Hawkeye, is awesome and I love her and I love their friendship. I also really like Captain Marvel, and cannot wait for the new Ms Marvel when then starts next year, as well as Young Avengers and Wonder Woman. I started reading Saga, but I've only read the first volume. I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet, but people say that the second volume is even better so I'll read that and see if I like it more then.

Music


Let's face it, Beyonce is pretty much the queen as far as music is concerned. And Beyonce is pretty much amazing (the album, that is. Well, and Beyonce). I love it. My personal favourite songs are XO, ***Flawless, Pretty Hurts and Blue, but they are all really good and not what I was expecting. I also love Arctic Monkey's AM. It's sort of rocky-bluesy and just good. My favourite songs are Arabella, Do I Wanna Know and I Wanna Be Yours but again, they are all really good and great for when you want to listen to music that makes you feel like a badass. Fall Out Boy's Save Rock and Roll is my other go to badass album of the year. Like, just listen to My Songs Know What You Did in The Dark and tell me you don't feel 110% more awesome than you did before. And I love CHVRCHES, too. I only heard of them this year, but their electro-pop sort of music is just great. We Sink, Lungs, Lies and Gun are my favourite songs of theirs, and if you haven't listened to them yet, then you should because they're awesome. And Haim. Haim are just great. Okay, I'm done just sort of listing bands now. Promise.

So, this ended up being longer than I thought it would. Originally, I was planning on doing a top ten or something, but I realised that there was just so much stuff that I really liked this year that I wanted to share it all with you guys. Yeah... So what was some of your favourite 'Other Stuff', as I have so eloquently put it, from this year?

1 comment:

  1. Catching Fire was AMAZING. I saw it on my birthday and I can't think of a better way I could've spent it. I'll have to check out The Way Way Back! OMG Frozen was freakin' magical. Sooooo cute and lovely. Also, Gatsby!! I saw that in 3D and I'm still kinda in awe about it. I haven't played Animal Crossing but I think I've seen some of yours and maybe Bella's tweets about it and I've always been curious haha. I am ashamed to admit I haven't listened to the Beyonce album yet. *hides* I think I need to deal with this immediately?? Haven't listened to all of AM yet, but I loooove Do I Wanna Know and I Wanna Be Yours and Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High is sick. I keep meaning to check out CHVRCHES and Haim! I don't know if you're an Eminem fan lol, but his new album MMLP2 is super awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...