Thursday 7 March 2013

Perfect Scoundrels review

Perfect Scoundrels
Ally Carter
February 7th 2013
Orchard Books

Katarina Bishop and W.W. Hale the fifth were born to lead completely different lives: Kat comes from a long, proud line of loveable criminal masterminds, while Hale is the scion of one of the most seemingly perfect dynasties in the world. If their families have one thing in common, it’s that they both know how to stay under the radar while getting—or stealing—whatever they want.

No matter the risk, the Bishops can always be counted on, but in Hale’s family, all bets are off when money is on the line. When Hale unexpectedly inherits his grandmother’s billion dollar corporation, he quickly learns that there’s no place for Kat and their old heists in his new role. But Kat won’t let him go that easily, especially after she gets tipped off that his grandmother’s will might have been altered in an elaborate con to steal the company’s fortune. So instead of being the heir—this time, Hale might be the mark. 

Forced to keep a level head as she and her crew fight for one of their own, Kat comes up with an ambitious and far-reaching plan that only the Bishop family would dare attempt. To pull it off, Kat is prepared to do the impossible, but first, she has to decide if she’s willing to save her boyfriend’s company if it means losing the boy.


I know I always go on about Ally Carter, but guys, seriously, ALLY FREAKING CARTER. I don't know how she keeps on getting better, but she does and every book she writes is better than the last. I was also under the impression that this was going to be the last book in this series, but I was wrong (I think!) So even though we might be saying goodbye to Cammie in the next year, we've still got Kat and Hale to keep up going.

Perfect Scoundrels has started to take a more serious turn, though. It's still fun and exciting and action-packed, but there was also some stuff going on between Hale and Kat, and it was the first time the case that they're on has directly affected someone in the crew. I was glad that it took a turn for the slightly-more-serious, though, because as much as I love the frivolity and fun of reading about art thieves and con-men and what have you, it is always a good thing to see the characters you love develop from the things that have happened to them. I feel like because of this change in tone, though, that we're getting closer to end with series too. I hope Ally Carter will have another series starting soon because I don't  think I can deal with just one a year! The only reason I don't think this is the last book is because we still haven't found out what the W.W in W.W Hale stands for yet! Also, I figured that the last book would have a thing that affected Kat more that Hale.

As I've just said, Kat, Hale, Gabrielle and the rest of the grew have all grown since the beginning of the series. They're growing older and changing, but not without completely losing who they were at the start (does that make sense, or am I just contradicting myself again...?). Gabrielle and Kat are still close and I still love this because (and I will keep on saying this) GIRLS CAN BE PRETTY AND NOT BE BITCHES. *Coughs* Okay, that's my rant for the day over. It's not even a problem anymore, really, but still. Grrr. We also get a bigger insight into Kat and Hale's relationship. Not just the romantic side, because there's a lot of drama going on there this time around, but their friendship, and how they became friends. I loved getting to see this too because, y'know, backstory. 

Another thing that set this book apart from the series was that there wasn't really a big heist that they were working towards to at the end. Well, there might have been a bit of heist. I'll be honest, I cant remember exactly everything that happened in Perfect Scoundrels, but I do remember the ending. The big shocking ending that was even more shocking than you thought after you read the first big shock. It's shocking, is the point I'm trying to get across here. And great. And clever. And I won't say anything more because I don't want to spoil this book for you.

Perfect Scoundrels is a great addition to the series and is probably my favourite (or at least a close second with Heist Society). If you have never read an Ally Carter book before and you regularly read my blog, then the only question is WHY THE HELL NOT? Get to it. You will not regret it!

Also, it's World Book Day in the UK today! A whole day for books! Who could imagine such a thing?! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...