Saturday 8 March 2014

Cress review

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3)
Marissa Meyer
February 6th 2014
Puffin
Cress is the third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, following Cinder and Scarlet.
Incarcerated in a satellite, an expert hacker and out to save the world - Cress isn't your usual damsel in distress.
CRESS grew-up as a prisoner. With only netscreens for company she's forced to do the bidding of the evil Queen Levana. Now that means tracking down Cinder and her handsome accomplice Emperor Kai. But little does Levana know that those she seeks, and the man she loves, are plotting her downfall . . .
As paths cross and the price of freedom rises, happily ever after has never seemed further away for Cress, Scarlet and Cinder.
This is not the fairy tale you remember. But it's one you won't forget.
I love this series. Like, properly, properly love it. And each book just gets better and better. I always knew that Cress would probably be one of my favourites because it's based on Rapunzel, which I love (a little bit because Tangled, but I loved that this was a little bit like Tangled, but it's closer to the actual  fairytale in certain ways and in space.) But seriously, before I even get into the proper review, if you haven't started this series yet, I highly, highly recommend them. Seriously, fairytales in the FUTURE. In SPACE. With hints of SAILOR MOON. And one of the main characters is a CYBORG. I think that that's all the convincing you will need.

Each book in the Lunar Chronicles just gets more and more immense as the scale of the story grows. With each book, a new main character is sort of introduced and a lot of the book will be from their perspective (it's all 3rd person so it doesn't get confusing) telling their story, at the same time as weaving together all the plot threads from the first and second books, as well as carrying on the main plot which was set out in the first book, Cinder. So yeah, it's quite a task. But each new character that's introduced has a major part in Cinder's plot, while each having significant plots of their own. Am I making it sound confusing? I don't mean to. But I think it's done really skilfully and I think that it's a really interesting way to write a series. Plus it's a lot of a fun to read and see how it all comes together.

I loved both Cress and Thorne in this book. I wasn't really that bothered about Thorne in Scarlet. Like, I thought that he was funny, but I didn't really think about him that much after I'd finished, but I'm really glad that he had a much bigger part in this book. He kind of reminded of Flynn Rider a little bit, which is really not a bad thing. At all. And I thought that Cress was really great too. I love the fact that all of the heroines are so different because they all show that you can be powerful in different ways. Cress isn't like Cinder or Scarlet in that she isn't particularly physically strong, and she's not particularly gutsy, but she's smart and incredibly good at hacking and her character arc was really good in this book. But I also loved Cinder's arc in this book and I'm really looking forward to seeing where it all ends up. And Scarlet's plot in this book was really interesting! I am very excited to find out more about Winter and about Luna.

Also, I love the world and I love the fact that we get to see so much of it. A lot of this book was in Africa, whereas the first two were mainly set in Asia and Europe respectively. I just really like books that are set in the future where there is a crisis on Earth and it's not just set in one place (like Pacific Rim- not a book, but still awesome), and you definitely get a sense of that in Cress, and the rest of this series. Especially because of the chapters from Kai's perspective, too, and the situation which he is and and they way in which the rest of the world leaders are reacting. With the way that Cress ended, I can tell that Winter is just going to be amazing, and I am just so excited for next year when it will come out.

The Lunar Chronicles is genuinely an amazing series which just gets better and better with each book as the story builds and builds, and I just love so many things about these books! Seriously, please just read them so that I can talk to you all about them and we can fangirl about how great they are.

1 comment:

  1. You know, we really liked CINDER, but for some reason we never picked up SCARLET. Definitely going to have to remedy that now, because CRESS is getting such great buzz!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...