Monday 8 July 2013

The Taming of The Tights review

The Taming of the Tights
Louise Rennison
July 4th 2013
HarperCollins Children's Books

Gadzooks! It’s another term at Dother Hall for Tallulah and her mates. But can they keep their minds on the arts with all those boys about…

After the thing-that-will-never-be-mentioned last term, Tallulah is keen to put all thoughts of Cain behind her. But that seems like that the last thing he wants.

Their performing arts college may have been saved by Honey’s mystery benefactor, but for how long is anyone’s guess. So will Tallulah finally get to wear those golden slippers of applause or will Dr Lightowler swoop down on her glory days?

And with Seth and Flossie forever snogging, Vaisey and Jack loved-up and Phil and Jo fondly biffing each other can Tallulah resist the call of her wild boy?

Don your craziest tights and Irish dance your way to some surprising and hilariously unexpected answers…


The Tallulah Casey books are probably one of my only guilty pleasures in life. I genuinely adore them in a way that I really didn't think that I would, and I look forward to reading each book in the series because they are just so much fun in a way that the other books that I read just aren't. I may have to reread the Georgia Nicolson books in the wait for Tallulah's next misadventure.

Tallulah... Oh Lullah, you and your crazy legs and your crazy rapping and your general, well craziness. You do make me laugh more than I probably should. You are the heart of this peculiarly hilarious books and I don't know what I'd do without you to make me smile. I think that Tallulah is kind of immature for a fourteen year old, I'll be honest. And I don't mean that in that she's really childish or anything, but that she comes across as being more like a 12 year old? It doesn't really bother me, though, because her incapability at being able to handle normal situations (or not so normal situations, as is really the case in these books) is what makes her so funny to read about! And that she's actually just really funny and comedy is so her calling. And I think she is maturing in a weird way as the series goes on.

I know I've said this about a million times already, but these books really are just really funny. But only if you have a really silly, slightly odd sense of humour. But there's just loads of stupid stuff in Tallulah's life that wouldn't usually make me laugh in any other context than this. Like the Tree Sisters - Lullah's best friends Vaisey, Jo and Flossie - who are all possible even more nutty than Lullah and Ruby and her dog Matilda who just potters about being useless and sounds like exactly the kind of dog that I would want.

The only other thing about The Taming of The Tights that I didn't like was the fact that I really love Lullah and Cain together! It goes against all my morals as a person who reads Young Adult, but Charlie (Lullah's other love interest) is really boring in my opinion in comparison to Cain. And, by all logic, I should hate Cain, or the Dark Black Crow of Heckmondwhite as he has become know as he is, for all intents and purposes, an utter, creepy arsehole. But I guess I'm a bit like Lullah herself in that I'm kind of drawn to him against all my good sense. I really hope that there's lots of him the next book, too.

This is fairly short, but I can never really think of much to say about the Tallulah Riley books that I haven't already said before. They are super funny and stupid and sweet and strange and I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...