Thursday 15 September 2011

Two-Way Street review

Two-Way Street
Lauren Barnholdt
June 26th 2007
Simon Pulse


There are two sides to every breakup.

This is Jordan and Courtney, totally in love. Sure, they were an unlikely high school couple. But they clicked; it worked. They're even going to the same college, and driving cross-country together for orientation.

Then Jordan dumps Courtney -- for a girl he met on the Internet.

It's too late to change plans, so the road trip is on. Courtney's heartbroken, but figures she can tough it out for a few days. La la la -- this is Courtney pretending not to care.

But in a strange twist, Jordan cares. A lot.

Turns out, he's got a secret or two that he's not telling Courtney. And it has everything to do with why they broke up, why they can't get back together, and how, in spite of it all, this couple is destined for each other.



I really, really enjoyed reading this book. It's just what I needed after reading so many serious books lately! It was funny and cute and sweet and I loved Courtney and Jordan! Plus it was weighed down with just enough seriousness  and plot to keeping me flipping the pages. I feel like every time I start a book like this, I go into it thinking I'll like it a bit, and I always end up loving it! I would say I should read loads more contemps, but then I might start feeling like they're losing their charm... Apart from anything written by Stephanie Perkins.


I really liked Courntey! Seriously, we are so alike! Especially pre-break up, because on the actual trip she did come across a little psycho. But no too psycho, so that you didn't like her. But I do think if it wasn't for the flashbacks, I wouldn't have liked any of the characters as much. But really, I thought Courtney was funny, and we have quite a few similarities... But I'm no where  near rebel enough to text in math lessons... ;p


Jordan was also really sweet! I love me some nice guys, and even though Jordan wasn't technically one, he wasn't a bad boy either... He's that boy in school that gets with loads of the girls, and I guess he was a bit of a man whore before Courtney. But when he was with her... Aww... He just really loves her! And I feel really bad for him that due to some pretty suckish circumstances, he broke up with Courtney. Through the whole book I just wanted the truth to come out so they could finally get bad together! ;p


I think what made the book great for me, though, was just how the story was told. I loved seeing the entire situation, from beginning to end, through both of their eyes, and with the story being told in half flashbacks-half on the actual roadtrip, there was just this sense of the book coming completely full circle by the end. Plus, it made me root for them to get together so much harder! 


Two-Way Street is a fun, fast read about a couple who who just want to scream at for being so silly as to break up when they're obviously so perfect for each other! ;D Oh, and as a little side note, Courtney's dad is a slimy, horrible, little man. I did not like him. One bit.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you loved this one! Was my first Lauren Barnholdt book and I loved it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved this book. Since reading it, I've been trying to find other books by the same author!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...