Monday 11 July 2011

Earwig & The Witch review

Earwig & The Witch
Diana Wynne Jones
June 9th 2011
HarperCollins Childrens Books


Everyone knows that orphanages are horrible places. But Earwig has a surprising amount of power over everyone else at St Morwald’s Home for Children, and loves it there. So the last thing she wants is to be sent to live with the very strange Bella Yaga…

Earwig was left at St Morwald's as a baby. Unlike the other children, she loves it there, mostly because she has the run of the place and seems to be able to persuade people to do as she wants. Then one day Earwig is chosen to live with a very strange couple: Bella Yaga, her new 'mother', is actually a horrible witch. Earwig will need all her ingenuity (and some help from a talking cat) to survive…

With terrific line drawings that perfectly complement Diana’s witty, magical story, this is sure to appeal to a new generation of fans.



I know this isn't really the age group of books I normally review, but dude, I don't know how anyone could pass up the chance to have Diana Wynne Jones's last book! She's amazing! And plus, this book is just so cute! I know I would've loved it if I was the 'right' age to read it.


It's full of Diana's typical wit and humour and I was smiling for the whole time I read it. I think I've forgotten how charming younger children's books can be! And the illustrations are funny too. I kind of miss looking at pictures.. *sighs and reminisces about being even younger than she already is* ;p But seriously, it is such a sweet book. It's the sort of book that you'd really enjoy reading with your kids, and I think if I was younger when I read this I'd probably grow up to be a DWJ fan which I think is something we need! The memory of DWJ MUST stay alive! She's a legend! ;D


Earwig is a bit of a trouble maker in the book. She's used to getting her own way in St Morwald's until Bella Yaga, the evil witch, and The Mandrake adopt her and take her home as a second pair of hands. This generally leads to a few witchy shenanigans so the Earwig can get her way around the house and learn magic! And while Earwig is a bit of a crafty madam, she's really great! Plus I loved Thomas, the familar. He reminded me of my own lovely cat... :D


Earwig and the Witch is an adorable children's book perfect for parents eager to turn their children into epic DWJ fans, and that will charm most people who read it, as most of her books do :D RIP DWJ! D:


Oh, and guys, I think I'm gonna stop doing star ratings... It's just kinda hard and all books are really good in their own ways and whatnot and it's just very hard to rate them... So yeah. :)

1 comment:

  1. great review! :D I love the sound of this one and I love books with Illustrations, especially if they are "too young" for me! ;) I will have to check this one out! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...